"Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one" Matthew 5:37 (NLT). Are you as good as your word? God says we are supposed to be. If we tell someone we'll do something for them (including pray for them) God expects to keep our word! On our Ministry Team, one of our Team Values is something we call "Execution," and that doesn't mean we value killing each other! We value doing what we say we'll do. Execution is really just integrity. Telling the truth. Consistent word and deed. Integrity builds trust in any relationship, and on any team. That's why Execution is so important to us.
Execution in our team culture means we:
- Return phone calls in a timely manner.
- Follow up on spiritual decisions promptly.
- Answer our emails.
- Start and end all meetings and services on time.
- Do what we say we will do.
- Take minutes at meetings, then review those minutes at the next meeting to hold each other accountable for executing.
- Be willing to say 'No' rather than tell someone 'Yes' and not do it!
Do we get it perfect. Certainly not. However, we hold each other accountable and challenge each other when this value is violated on our team. Trust on our team grows as our ability to depend on each other grows.
What about your team? How would you rate your "Execution" on a scale of 1-10?