Would you like grow in your ability to avoid life's train wrecks? More than we realize, many of life's train wrecks CAN be averted through the pursuit and application of something God invented called: WISDOM. We become a wiser person. A wise person makes better decisions. A wise person doesn't make as many mistakes. A wise person doesn't make the same mistake over and over again. A wise person doesn't swing so up and down on life's great pendulum. How do we get there? Here's the first key: Proverbs 13:20 says: "Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble." In other words: Wisdom often comes FROM God, but THROUGH wise people.
Let me ask you a question: Who do you hang out with? God says that who we choose to surround ourselves with, largely determines the level of our wisdom, and thus our ability to avoid many of life's train wrecks! How do we know if we're walking with the wise? Here are some self-check questions:
- Do all of my friends think just like me?
- Do all of my friends have the same moral standards as me?
- Are any of my friends smarter than me?
- Do I have anyone in my life that's more experienced at doing what I'm doing?
- Do I have someone in my life I could ask anything?
- Am I close to anyone that's more spiritually mature than I am?
- Who do I do seek counsel from that's older than me?
- Do I have someone in my life than can ask me the tough questions?
God says that if we hang out with wise people, we'll become wiser. If we don't, we're a fool. Hey don't look at me, God said it! How do you know when you find a wise person? Find someone that's not having as many train wrecks as we are. Ask them if you can spend more time with them. God promises that we will become wiser; make better decisions; and avoid more train wrecks. That's a good thing.